Wednesday, January 18, 2012

It's Ketubah Time!

One of the things I put on the backburner is our ketubah. For those unfamiliar, a ketubah, in essence, is a Jewish marriage contract. It’s the religious equivalent of that marriage license you wait on line for at city hall. Bonus points for there being no line to get this one!

With the invention of that thing called the interwebs there are now something along the lines of 209,323,095 resources available to find and purchase ketubahs. There are tons of variations done by many different types of artists.

There’s the traditional:
Image via Ketubah.com
The modern:
Image via Ketubah.com
Abstract:
 Image via Ketubah.com

The amount of options out there can be really overwhelming. You can commission an artist to make a ketubah or choose from readily available designs on a multitude of websites. Our Rabbi recommended a few websites he prefers working with. We decided to focus on one site, Ketubah.com, and narrow down our choices from there. There are just too many options otherwise, and it got a little bit overwhelming skimming all the different websites.

To start, I had NO clue how expensive ketubahs are! I don't think my brain processed that it's the equivalent to buying a piece of customized art. We are so grateful that one of Mr. Porcupine’s Uncles and Aunts generously offered to gift us our ketubah as our wedding present. Otherwise, I would be sitting down with crayons and construction paper!

We looked through pretty much every single design before coming down to two choices.

Image via Ketubah.com
We loved the trees and bright blues

Image via Ketubah.com
Mr. P liked how the two people turned into waves of color. I though they looked a little bit creepy.

It was far easier choosing the wording of our ketubah. A simple drop down menu next to the artwork shows a list of variations of how the text will read. We skimmed through the four different Reform options, and went with the least religious one.

You are my best friend, my hopes and future, my strength, my soulmate. Standing proudly beside you, in your eyes I see my love, and in your heart I see my dreams, and in our promise I see a union, true and steadfast, uniquely devoted to compassion, kindness and sincerity."
- A piece of our chosen Ketubah text via ketubah.com

We love how it speaks more about friendship than God. Even though we identify as being Jewish, I’ve mentioned that we do not see ourselves as religious people.

We spent a few days mulling it over. (Mostly I was having more wedding-avoidance and catching up on the Real Housewives). We eventually decided to go with the blue tree option.

Image via Ketubah.com

The process of purchasing the ketubah was extremely simple even though, at first, it seemed a little daunting with all the choices and drop down menus. After typing in our credit card information, we were asked to fill in the English portion of our ketubah (simply our names, wedding location, and wedding date). Our ketubah will be printed in both English and Hebrew. We then had the option to try our hand at filling in the Hebrew portion. We both declined to test that out (especially since I have no Hebrew knowledge whatsoever), and proceeded onto the next step, which forwards everything onto our Rabbi to fill-in/approve.

Easy peasy. One more task -that I never even thought would be a task- crossed off the list.

What style of ketubah appeals to you the most? Did you purchase a ketubah (or other religious paraphernalia) off the internet?

No comments:

Post a Comment