Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The non-crafty crafter wannabe

I want to be crafty, I really do, but I am a crafting failure.

I love DIY-weddings, but over the years I have learned that I'm not the best at DIY projects. In my head the ideas always sound great, but then I begin the project and lose my brainz.

During my sorority days crafting took up far too much of my time. There is something about being in a sorority that makes girls do things like paint giant wooden greek letters and create sorority family trees on faux tree bark. More times than I care to remember, I would begin a project, gladly going along my merry way, and then hit a snag. I would try to overcome this snag and cause another even bigger snag. Slowly, one by one, I would feel each little nerve ending in my brain POPPING, until finally it would lead to a fit of rage, ending with me throwing the craft across the room. Not.Pretty.

There are a lot of things I would LOVE to craft for the wedding (invitations, place cards, centerpieces, bridal party accessories, etc.), but I have decided-for the sake of my sanity, to narrow it down to crafts I KNOW I can do. The last thing I want to do is inflict torture upon myself when planning what is supposed to be a joyous day.

On a trip to Michael's a few weekends ago, I poked around the store to get some ideas. One of the things I plan on DIYing is our favors. I decided pretty early on to give homemade fudge as a favor. For reasons related to Ben & Jerry's, my brain relates fudge to NYC, and I am trying to string some of my NYC pride into our Lancaster, PA wedding.

Image via Bestuff

Plus, I make really good fudge, and growing up my mom's go-to for the monthly school bake sales was a batch of chocolate chunk fudge. I just need to find something to put the pieces in. Another semi-easy DIY task for my non DIY-brain. (Stick this sticker on the center of the box and repeat).




*Personal Photo*

I loved these cute little monogramed boxes at Michael's, but wasn't too into the price since we would have to buy a few of these packs. Even though I wasn't ready to buy, I definitely love the idea of a cute little box of fudge with a peacock feather strung onto the top. And, best of all, I can accomplish the DIY aspect of it (I hope).


A few Google searches brought up some cute options.


Image via Blisstree

I love these Tiffany inspired boxes, because of my sick love of all things Tiffany, but I don't know if I can think of a good reason for how they fit into the wedding.

Peacock themed box via David's Bridal

This peacock box is pretty self explanatory. We will probably end up with something like this when it's all said and done.


Do you wish you were a better DIY skilled bride? 

No comments:

Post a Comment