Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Just Dance... the first songs

When it came to deciding on our first dance song, I immediately knew what song I wanted. So, nope, this was not a joint effort and there was no way I was going to budge on this.

When we first started dating, whenever I heard “Look After You” by the Fray, it immediately made me think of Mr. Porcupine. I guess when you’re first dating every song makes you think of the person, but I REALLY loved this song. I still do, and it’s one of those songs I can play over and over again on my Ipod without killing it.


I'm not usually a sappy person, but my favorite part is:

“When I’m losing my control,
the city spins around,
you’re the only one who knows,
you slow it down”

This line really resonates with me about our relationship. I’m notoriously a psycho and running a mile a minute. I easily stress out, lose my mind, and have the urge to curse out MTA employees and other annoying individuals that populate this city. When Mr. P came around I found in him someone to level me out (even though I am still pretty much a psycho). Mr. P’s approach to life is “eh, whatevz.” So when you mix that in with my approach to life of, “WHAT THE HELL? I WILL KILL YOU!” you get something a little saner. I’ve honestly mellowed out as much as it’s possible for me to mellow out. Sorry, I will never be entirely normal…

When Mr. P heard the song he agreed that it was nice. But, he couldn’t help throwing out “Hey There Delilah.” Mr. P loves this ding-dong song. This song depresses the HELL OUT of me. It was popular during the small amount of time Mr. P and I were “long distance.” There’s something about the damn song that makes something in my brain snap and want to burst into tears. It gained popularity right when I graduated college, returned home and Mr. P returned to PA for his summer break. (He had a year of college to go after that.) The beginning of the song is pretty much the only reason it corresponds to our life at that time.

"Hey there Delilah (except well I’m not HER)
what’s it like in New York City?
I’m a thousand miles away,
but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do,
Times Square can’t shine as bright as you, I swear it’s true"

I vetoed it immediately. I was not having my first dance to a song about a girl named Delilah that makes me want to curl up in a corner and die. Mr. P was upset for maybe 9 seconds, and moved on. The Fray it was- which by the way we now ALWAYS hear playing at the Supermarket. A sign? Or maybe it’s to lull the rage of our deli counter people (they seriously have the psychosis worse than I do).

Then, when trying to touch on the subject of our quartet music I realized I have no idea what in the hell I want them to play for anything. I have zero classical music knowledge and something like no desire whatsoever to figure out what to play. For the procession, the only thing I definitely know, is that I don't want “Here Comes the Bride.”  For the bridesmaids walking down the aisle I like the traditional Pachelbel Canon in D, but what about when I come down the aisle? DING DING. Best idea ever. I googled my idea and yes it exists!


Hey There Delilah without the words! I actually like it better when a quartet plays it. I e-mailed our string quartet about the Vitamin String Quartet’s rendition of Hey there Delilah, and they said they’d said they could get it (I guess the sheet music?) and play it without a problem.

I was going to surprise Mr. Porcupine, but since he is a huge crier I decided it might be better if I forewarned him. So even though yes, he will still bawl like a baby through our entire ceremony, at least he won’t get a crying curveball thrown at him and fall over on our Rabbi. I can say this because Mr. P is too busy to read my blog posts (haha!). It’s fine, he owns up to it…

Was your first dance song a compromise?

No comments:

Post a Comment